Saturday, April 18, 2009

A.S.P.I.R.E. - a study system

A: Approach/attitude/arrange

  • Approach your studies with a positive attitude
  • Arrange your schedule to eliminate distractions

S: Select/survey/study!

  • Select a reasonable chunk of material to study
  • Survey the headings, graphics, pre- and post questions
    to get an overview
  • Study marking any information you don’t understand

P: Put aside/piece together:

  • Put aside your books and notes
  • Piece together what you've studied, either alone, with a study pal or group, and summarize what you understand.

I: Inspect/Investigate/inquire/:

  • Inspect what you did not understand.
  • Investigate alternative sources of information you can refer to:
    other text books, websites, experts, tutors, etc.
  • Inquire from support professionals (academic support, librarians, tutors, teachers, experts,) for assistance

R: Reconsider/reflect/relay

  • Reconsider the content:
    If I could speak to the author, what questions would I ask or what criticism would I offer?
  • Reflect on the material:
    How can I apply this material to what I am interested in?
  • Relay understanding:
    How would I make this information interesting and understandable to other students?

E: Evaluate/examine/explore:

  • Evaluate your grades on tests and tasks
    look for a pattern
  • Examine your process
    toward improving it
  • Explore options
    with a teacher, support professional, tutor, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment